Notes on the Current Situation for Students of the KIT Department of Informatics
Here once again the most important key data at a glance:
- End of the examination period of the winter semester 21/22 is 12.05.2022
- All applications can currently be submitted via email from the student email address.
- For all questions please write to beratung-informatik∂informatik.kit.edu
Please use your student e-mail address.
Recommendations for the WS 21/22 and SS 22:
- If a thesis is being sought: Write to the lecturers/departments where you have already examined courses and where you like/are familiar with the topic. Further details will then be discussed either by telephone or video conference. In any case, it is possible for you to start a final thesis at the moment.
- Make sure that you have student status (have been re-registered) and that you are entitled to take examinations. If you exceed the maximum study time, you must submit an application for an extension of the deadline. (See details also below).
- Deadline extensions
- Transition Bachelor /Master
- Repeat examinations
Examinations (as of 04.11.2021)
Repeat examinations: The deadline for retaking exams is extended by two semesters, provided that this deadline expired at the end of WS 2019/20, SS 2020 or WS 2020/21. An extension for repeat examinations whose deadline ends from SS 2021 or later must be applied for individually and justified.
- Oral exams are currently offered online and on-site. Please check with the chair which modality the examiner offers. If you would like to take an oral exam online, please sign the data protection declaration and send it along with your appointment request.
- Success controls of another kind: Please clarify the details in detail with the examiners / supervising staff.
- Inspection of exams: Inspection of exams is only possible to a limited extent and in exceptional cases (e.g. an oral examination may have to be taken or it is the last performance in the program). Please contact the respective course/institute if necessary.
Deadline extensions (as of 09.12.2021)
Maximum duration of studies:
The provision of § 32 para. 5 a LHG extends the maximum duration of study for individual degree programs by a maximum of three semesters. However, blanket extensions for all students are not provided.
In the following cases, deadline extensions for the summer semester 2022 must be applied for:
- Bachelor's students who are in the 12th FS or higher in WS 21/22.
- Master's students who are in the 10th FS or higher in WS 21/22.
Please be sure to use this form for requests to extend deadlines for the 2022 summer semester.
If you are blocked from re-registering for the following semester because you have exceeded the maximum period of study, please contact Informatics Study Program Service / ISS.
In the following cases, no deadline extensions need to be requested for the summer semester 2022:
- Bachelor students who are in the 11th FS or lower in WS 21/22.
- Master's students who are in the 9th FS or lower in WS 21/22.
You can easily re-register through the system as in previous semesters. If there are any difficulties, please contact Business unit Studium und Lehre (SLE) directly.
Examination eligibility for Bachelor's students who are in the 12th FS or higher and Master's students who are in the 10th FS or higher is ONLY available with an approved deadline extension request. Re-registration only guarantees student status, not exam eligibility. In order to take examinations from the 12th FS in the Bachelor's degree and from the 10th FS in the Master's degree or to register the thesis, the student must have examination entitlement.
For students who are or were enrolled in a degree program in the winter semester 2019/2020, summer semester 2020, winter semester 2020/2021, summer semester 2021 or winter semester 2021/2022, the deadline for taking the orientation exam is extended by one semester in each case (§ 32 para. 5 a sentence 1 LHG).
This means that the deadline for
- Students who are enrolled in one of the above-mentioned semesters in the same degree program are extended by one semester;
- Students who are enrolled in the same degree program in two of the semesters mentioned are extended by two semesters;
- Students who are enrolled in three or more of the above semesters in the same degree program, extended by a maximum of three semesters.
Repeat examinations: The deadline for retaking examinations is extended by a flat rate of two semesters, provided that this deadline ended at the end of SS 2020 and WS 20 /21. An extension for repeat examinations whose deadline ends from SS 2021 or later must be applied for individually and justified.
Study design (as of 23.02.2022)
- Transition Bachelor / Master: If you cannot complete your Bachelor studies by the end of the examination period of WS 21/22, re-register. If necessary, apply for an extension of the deadline (see above). You will then be able to take Master's preferred credits in SS 22. Please note that you must reapply for the Master's degree each semester by July 15 or January 15.
- De-registration: You would have to de-register after consulting the Service Unit Studies and Teaching and using the appropriate application form (https://www.sle.kit.edu/imstudium/exmatrikulation.php). Please fill out the application form, scan it and send it by e-mail to the relevant offices (library, etc.). There the form will be stamped accordingly and returned to you scanned. This is the procedure to follow until all necessary discharge notes have been obtained. As soon as all discharge notes are received, you can either drop the form in the SLE mailbox or send it there by mail. For the discharge note item "Informatik/Informationswirtschaft. Return of keys" the following applies: Keys can be returned by mail or telephone (Tel.: 0721-608-44002) in building 50.34 / room 116 after prior arrangement. If no key has been borrowed from the Faculty of Computer Science, the completed application for exmatriculation can simply be sent as a scan by e-mail to the address s-kd∂ira.uka.de. After checking and issuing the exmatriculation notice, the form is returned by e-mail.
Informatics Study Program Service (ISS) (as of 06.04.2022)
Starting 04/19/2022, ISS will again offer in-person office hours in building 50.34 room 001.2 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00-12:00.
The concurrent telephone consultation hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00-12:00 at 0721-608-44031 will remain in effect.
Applications can still be submitted digitally.
You can reach us at any time by sending an email to beratung-informatik∂informatik.kit.edu.
- Departmental student advisory service for computer science: The departmental student advisory service will take place by telephone until further notice. Please send us an e-mail with your telephone number to beratung-informatik∂informatik.kit.edu. We are not available by phone, but we will gladly call you back.
Financial aid for students (as of 07.05.2020)
Self-study and online studies count as study activities, so BAföG entitlement is maintained even without attendance lectures. If parents or one parent is acutely affected by the crisis and therefore has no or greatly reduced income, students have greater chances of receiving BAföG assistance. This means that even if students were not previously entitled to BAföG, a new application can now be submitted. Likewise, a BAföG update application can be submitted to have the amount of funding recalculated.
In these cases, students contact the Office for Educational Support at the Studierendenwerk Karlsruhe.
Due to the Corona pandemic, emergency aid funds of the state of Baden-Württemberg were established for students. (https://www.sw-ka.de/de/finanzen/darlehen/bw-nothilfefonds/)
The KfW Student Loan supports students during their studies, even during the Corona crisis, with a minimum of 100 euros and a maximum of 650 euros per month - without loan collateral and independent of income / assets. There are other possibilities and providers of a student loan. These vary in processing fees, interest rate and repayment modalities.
Students who are thinking about a student loan or loan, contact the social counselling service of the Studierendenwerk Karlsruhe.
There are currently areas that have increased personnel requirements. Via the job exchange of KIT, the Studierendenwerk, or relevant portals, jobs can be found in the following areas in particular:
- Delivery services for food and drinks
- Supermarkets, grocery stores
- Cleaning companies
- Petrol stations
- Agriculture (www.daslandhilft.de)