Notes on the Current Situation for Students of the KIT Department of Informatics
Here once again the most important key data at a glance:
- End of the examination period of the summer semester 21 is 11.11.2021
- All applications are currently to be made by e-mail from the student's e-mail address.
- For all questions please write to beratung-informatik∂informatik.kit.edu
Please use your student e-mail address.
Recommendations for the SS 2021 and WS 21/22:
- If a thesis is being sought: Write to the lecturers/departments where you have already examined courses and where you like/are familiar with the topic. Further details will then be discussed either by telephone or video conference. In any case, it is possible for you to start a final thesis at the moment.
- Make sure that you have student status (have been re-registered) and that you are entitled to take examinations. If you exceed the maximum study time, you must submit an application for an extension of the deadline. (See details also below).
Examinations (as of 30.03.2021)
Cancellation of examinations: during the examination phase of WS 20/21, it is possible to cancel at short notice all examinations not yet started without a certificate. This regulation also includes oral reexaminations and other types of performance reviews. For cancellations of other types of performance assessments after they have already started (e.g. performances have already been rendered or deadlines are already running), the responsible lecturer must be contacted.
- Oral exams are currently offered online and on-site. Please check with the chair which modality the examiner offers. If you would like to take an oral exam online, please sign the data protection declaration and send it along with your appointment request.
- Success controls of another kind: Please clarify the details in detail with the examiners / supervising staff.
- Inspection of exams: Inspection of exams is only possible to a limited extent and in exceptional cases (e.g. an oral examination may have to be taken or it is the last performance in the program). Please contact the respective course/institute if necessary.
Deadline extensions (as of 13.07.2021)
- For students who were enrolled in a Bachelor's or Master's degree program in the summer semester 2020 and in the winter semester 2020/2021, the maximum duration of study specified in the study and examination regulations in the respective degree program is extended by two semesters.
- For students who were only enrolled in a Bachelor's or Master's degree program in the summer semester 2020 or winter semester 2020/2021, the maximum duration of study specified in the study and examination regulations in the respective degree program is extended by one semester.
In the following cases, deadline extensions for WS 21/22 must be applied for:
- Bachelor students who were enrolled in SS 2020 and WS 20/21 and are in the 11th FS or higher in SS 21.
- Master students who were enrolled in SS 2020 and WS 20/21 and are in the 9th FS or higher in SS 21.
For requests for deadline extensions for WS 21/22, please use the form provided.
In the following cases, deadline extensions for WS 21/22 do not need to be requested:
- Bachelor students who were enrolled in SS 2020 and WS 20/21 and are in their 10th FS or less in SS 21.
- Master students who were enrolled in SS 2020 and WS 20/21 and are in the 8th FS or less in SS 21.
You can easily re-register through the system as in previous semesters. If there are any difficulties, please contact Student Services (SLE) directly .
Students who started their studies in WS 18/19, WS 19/20 and have not changed their course of studies in the meantime have the possibility to take the orientation exam until the end of the 5th FS due to the flat-rate extensions.
Students who began the program in WS 20/21 have the opportunity to take the orientation exam until the end of the 4th FS due to the blanket extensions.
In the case of qualified participation in the MINT-Kolleg, this deadline is extended accordingly.
Study design (as of 09.02.2021)
- Transition Bachelor / Master: If you cannot complete your Bachelor studies by the end of the examination period of SS 21, re-register. If necessary, apply for an extension of the deadline (see above). You will then be able to take Master's preferred credits in WS 21/22. Please note that you must reapply for the Master's degree each semester by July 15 or January 15.
- The master preferential account can be overdrawn in SS 2020, WS 2020/21 and SS 2021. As soon as more than 30 LP should be registered, please send an e-mail to beratung-informatik∂informatik.kit.edu. We will select the services for you on CAS-Campus, then you have to register online for the exams.
- De-registration: You would have to de-register after consulting the Service Unit Studies and Teaching and using the appropriate application form (https://www.sle.kit.edu/imstudium/exmatrikulation.php). Please fill out the application form, scan it and send it by e-mail to the relevant offices (library, etc.). There the form will be stamped accordingly and returned to you scanned. This is the procedure to follow until all necessary discharge notes have been obtained. As soon as all discharge notes are received, you can either drop the form in the SLE mailbox or send it there by mail. For the discharge note item "Informatik/Informationswirtschaft. Return of keys" the following applies: Keys can be returned by mail or telephone (Tel.: 0721-608-44002) in building 50.34 / room 116 after prior arrangement. If no key has been borrowed from the Faculty of Computer Science, the completed application for exmatriculation can simply be sent as a scan by e-mail to the address s-kd∂ira.uka.de. After checking and issuing the exmatriculation notice, the form is returned by e-mail.
Informatics Study Program Service (ISS) (as of 03.11.2020)
ISS offers a telephone office hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00-12:00 at 0721-608-44031.
ISS consultation hours: The ISS will remain closed until further notice. Please send us requests by mail or e-mail. For applications by e-mail the student e-mail address must be used.
- Departmental student advisory service for computer science: The departmental student advisory service will take place by telephone until further notice. Please send us an e-mail with your telephone number to beratung-informatik∂informatik.kit.edu. We are not available by phone, but we will gladly call you back.
Financial aid for students (as of 07.05.2020)
Self-study and online studies count as study activities, so BAföG entitlement is maintained even without attendance lectures. If parents or one parent is acutely affected by the crisis and therefore has no or greatly reduced income, students have greater chances of receiving BAföG assistance. This means that even if students were not previously entitled to BAföG, a new application can now be submitted. Likewise, a BAföG update application can be submitted to have the amount of funding recalculated.
In these cases, students contact the Office for Educational Support at the Studierendenwerk Karlsruhe.
Due to the Corona pandemic, emergency aid funds of the state of Baden-Württemberg were established for students. (https://www.sw-ka.de/de/finanzen/darlehen/bw-nothilfefonds/)
The KfW Student Loan supports students during their studies, even during the Corona crisis, with a minimum of 100 euros and a maximum of 650 euros per month - without loan collateral and independent of income / assets. There are other possibilities and providers of a student loan. These vary in processing fees, interest rate and repayment modalities.
Students who are thinking about a student loan or loan, contact the social counselling service of the Studierendenwerk Karlsruhe.
There are currently areas that have increased personnel requirements. Via the job exchange of KIT, the Studierendenwerk, or relevant portals, jobs can be found in the following areas in particular:
- Delivery services for food and drinks
- Supermarkets, grocery stores
- Cleaning companies
- Petrol stations
- Agriculture (www.daslandhilft.de)