Notes on the Current Situation for Students of the KIT Department of Informatics
Here once again the most important key data at a glance:
- End of the examination period of the winter semester 2019/2020 is 12.05.2020
- Written examinations of WS 19/20 are cancelled from 13.03.2020 until the closure of KIT is lifted
- All applications are currently to be made by e-mail from the student's e-mail address.
- For all questions please write to beratung-informatik∂informatik.kit.edu
Recommendations for the SS 2020:
- Study in any case! Participate in online lectures. At the moment it is assumed that the whole semester will take place "online". (As of 07.05.2020)
- If a thesis is being sought: Write to the lecturers/departments where you have already examined courses and where you like/are familiar with the topic. Further details will then be discussed either by telephone or video conference. In any case, it is possible for you to start a final thesis at the moment. (As of 07.05.2020)
- Make sure that you have student status (have been re-registered) and that you are entitled to take examinations. If you exceed the maximum study time, you must submit an application for an extension of the deadline. (See details also below). (As of 07.05.2020)
- Some of the cancelled exams will be made up for in the period from the end of May to the beginning of July, see also below. You can decide for yourself whether you want to take part or not. There are no disadvantages for you if you do not participate. However, it is expected that you will take part in the already announced exams in SS 2020. (As of 14.05.2020)
- For example, someone who did not write the exam "Grundbegriffe der Informatik" in WS 19/20 because it has been cancelled, can consider whether he/she will take part in the catch-up date in the lecture period (if one is offered). If he/she does not, participation in the exam in the lecture-free period is a must! (As of 07.05.2020)
Making up for the cancelled tests: Some of the cancelled exams will be made up in the period from the end of May to the beginning of July. The exact dates are still to be announced. There are no disadvantages for you if you do not take part in the catch-up exams. Please remember that if you want to take part, you must register explicitly for these exams. The following exams will be made up in any case: Grundbegriffe der Informatik, Theoretische Grundlagen der Informatik, Programmierparadigmen, Softwaretechnik II. The exams on Algorithmen I, Algorithmen II, Einführung in Rechnernetze and Rechnerstrukturen will not be taken. Also the exams on Lineare Algebra I will not be taken. These exams can be taken in September. Kognitive Systeme will not be taken either. Two versions of the exam will be offered in September (for repeaters according to the old model and for first-time writers according to the new model). (As of 27.05.2020)
Retests: The deadline for retaking examinations is extended by two semesters.
Students who were registered for written examinations cancelled after March 13, 2020, will be deregistered by the chairs / institutes - in contrast to the announcement on the general KIT website. (As of 06.04.2020)
Oral examinations are currently offered online. From 20.04.2020, oral examinations will be possible on site with restrictions. Please clarify with the chair/institute. which modality the examiner offers. If you would like to take an oral exam online, please sign the data protection declaration and send it along with your appointment request. (As of 06.07.2020)
Success controls of a different kind: Please clarify the details with the examiner / supervising employee. (As of 06.04.2020)
Exercises: If exercise certificates in the 1st FS have not been passed, there are the following possibilities for repetition:
Programmieren in summer and winter semester
Lineare Algebra 2 in summer semester
Lineare Algebra 1 in winter semester
Grundbegriffe der Informatik in the winter semester
Only one of the two exercise certificates (LA1 or LA2) is required for registration for the exam Lineare Algebra I. (As of 27.04.2020)
Theses: The start of final theses can take place as planned, provided that the supervising chair can support this. All final theses that were in progress between 17.03. and 24.05 (were already in progress on 17.3. or have been registered since then) will be extended by 69 days. This extension need not be used. A flat-rate extension of 34 days has already been entered in the system. If you would like to make use of the further extensions (of 69 days in total), please send us an e-mail to beratung-informatik∂informatik.kit.edu and inform your supervisor. The submission date will be adjusted in detail in the system upon request. If the supervising chair can make this possible, the presentation can take place, for example, in the form of a video conference.
If the lecture or submission no longer took place during the examination period of WS 19/20, you must re-register or, if necessary, request an extension of the deadline. (As of 15.05.2020)
Inspection of examinations: Inspection of examinations is only possible to a limited extent and in exceptional cases (e.g. an oral examination may have to be held or it is the last performance in the course of study). Please contact the respective course/institute if necessary. (As of 04.05.2020)
- In the following cases, extensions of the time limit must be requested:
- Bachelor students who are in 4th FS or higher in SS 2020 and have not yet passed the orientation exam.
Please submit the application in due time before the re-registration deadline. The applications will be processed in autumn after the exams on "Linear AlgebraI" and "Basic Terms in Computer Science".- Bachelor students who are in the 10th FS or higher in SS 2020
- Master students who are in the 8th FS or higher in SS 2020 (As of 18.05.2020)
- In the following cases no extensions of the time limit need be requested:
For students who started their studies in WS 2018/19 and WS 2019/20, the deadline for taking the orientation exam will be extended by one semester.
For Bachelor students who are in the 9th FS semester in the SS 2020, the deadline for completing their studies will be extended by a lump sum of one semester. For Master's students who are in the 7th FS semester in the SS 2020, the deadline for the completion of the programme is extended by a lump sum of one semester. (As of 18.05.2020)
- Retests: The deadline for retaking examinations is extended by two semesters. (As of 25.06.2020)
- Planned end of studies in winter semester 2019/2020: Students who would have finished their studies with the cancelled examinations of winter semester 2019/20 can submit a request to the examination board to change the assessment from written to oral. The decision whether an oral examination is offered is primarily the examiner's responsibility. This request must be accompanied by evidence that the course of study could be completed if the examination phase of WS 2019/2020 proceeds according to plan. (As of 06.04.2020)
- Transition Bachelor / Master: If you are unable to complete your Bachelor's degree by the end of the examination period WS 19/20, please contact us. If necessary, submit an application for an extension of the deadline (see above). You will then be able to perform preferential Master's work in SS 2020. Please note that you have to reapply for the Master's again by July 15th.
The master preferential account can be overdrawn in SS 2020 and WS 2020/21. As soon as more than 30 LP should be registered, please send an e-mail to beratung-informatik∂informatik.kit.edu. We will select the services for you on CAS-Campus, then you have to register online for the exams. (As of 18.05.2020)
- Course operation in the summer semester 2020: The course operation in the SS 2020 will take place continuously online. Please find the list of courses in the summer semester 2020 here.
Details can be found in the Ilias entry of the corresponding course.
(As of 14.05.2020)
- Study operation WS 20/21: It is still unclear when university operation can be resumed as usual. The KIT will have to wait for the government's decisions in this matter and will regulate accordingly whether the WS 20/21 will take place regularly or with restrictions. (As of 11.05.2020)
- Deregistration: You would have to de-register after consulting the Dienstleistungseinheit Studium und Lehre (SLE) and using the appropriate application form (https://www.sle.kit.edu/english/imstudium/712.php). Please fill out the application form, scan it and send it by e-mail to the relevant offices (library etc.). There the form will be stamped accordingly and returned to you scanned. This is the procedure to follow until all necessary discharge notes have been obtained. Once all discharge notes have been received, you can either drop the form in the SLE mailbox or send it there by e-mail. (As of 06.04.2020)
Informatics Study Program Service (ISS)
- ISS consultation hours: The ISS will remain closed until further notice. Please send us requests by mail or e-mail. For applications by e-mail the student e-mail address must be used. (As of 06.04.2020)
- Departmental student advisory service for computer science: The departmental student advisory service will take place by telephone until further notice. Please send us an e-mail with your telephone number to beratung-informatik∂informatik.kit.edu. We are not available by phone, but we will gladly call you back. (As of 06.04.2020)
Financial aid for students (Status 07.05.2020)
Self-study and online studies count as study activities, so BAföG entitlement is maintained even without attendance lectures. If parents or one parent is acutely affected by the crisis and therefore has no or greatly reduced income, students have greater chances of receiving BAföG assistance. This means that even if students were not previously entitled to BAföG, a new application can now be submitted. Likewise, a BAföG update application can be submitted to have the amount of funding recalculated.
In these cases, students contact the Office for Educational Support at the Studierendenwerk Karlsruhe.
Due to the Corona pandemic, emergency aid funds of the state of Baden-Württemberg were established for students. (https://www.sw-ka.de/de/finanzen/darlehen/bw-nothilfefonds/)
The KfW Student Loan supports students during their studies, even during the Corona crisis, with a minimum of 100 euros and a maximum of 650 euros per month - without loan collateral and independent of income / assets. There are other possibilities and providers of a student loan. These vary in processing fees, interest rate and repayment modalities.
Students who are thinking about a student loan or loan, contact the social counselling service of the Studierendenwerk Karlsruhe.
There are currently areas that have increased personnel requirements. Via the job exchange of KIT, the Studierendenwerk, or relevant portals, jobs can be found in the following areas in particular:
- Delivery services for food and drinks
- Supermarkets, grocery stores
- Cleaning companies
- Petrol stations
- Agriculture (www.daslandhilft.de)